1 reply to this topic

#1 dfghj241

dfghj241

Serf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

if a medieval army, in a farming area, had the knowledge that another, smaller army was hidden in the woods overlooking the farmlands, and also were tasked to hunt this smaller army down? would this army be able to do said task? also, if a very big, thousands big, army, in a camp between mountains and forests, had the task of stopping another much smaller army from going from the mountains to the forests, at night, would they be able to perform such task, even if not entirely? these questions seem ambiguous but i've been dying to know if said things could even be possible in the first place. i'm struggling to write this military fantasy set in early thirteenth century-esque universe, and some of these events happened through my mind, i would love to know the veracity of said "encounters". thank you all so much in advance!

#2 Hochmeister

Hochmeister

Serf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hi Serf,

I'm no expert but as far as the first part of your question I imagine the larger army would use scouts or outriders to locate the smaller one rather than blindly marching through the woods as one big hunting party.

Credit to S.W. for pointing that out.

Unless there was some fortuitous geographical barrier (like a river or uneven terrain) to pin the (escaping/fleeing?) army against, I would also imagine that the smaller force would be able to make better time than the larger one.

Cheers,

Hochmeister