No replies to this topic

#1 Haviland

Haviland

Serf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

I have a record indicating there was a seal (probably dated 1000-1100) with a charge of a three-towered castle (like those seen on many Nuestrian arms, which is relevant here, but more familiar on ancient Castille arms). Surrounding this charge is a cross pattée followed by the name S'RAAL D'AVILANT.

I already know that D'Avilant is the archaic form of de Havilland. But what is "S'Raal?"

I have an actual image of a seal (attached) which was attributed to S'PETRI DE HAVILANT, also with the cross pattée, and also with the triple-tower charge, but with a couple of martlets added, which purport to have been added to the arms of Peter's father William in commemoration of his participation in the Crusade of King Richard.

Is the "S" in S'PETRI and S'RAAL indicative of "Sir" (as in reference to a Knight)?

And is "Raal" and ancient given name, as in "Petri"? What more modern name is it the basis of, and what is it's language of origin?

If Petri is the basis of what we now call Peter, a quick search on the internet places it as being Finnish or Basque, neither of which make any sense to me since these seals I think were from the area of Neustria/Normandy, the Channel Islands, and England. The person to which both seals belonged was almost certainly of Frankish origin. The seat of the De Havilland family is firmly established on Guernsey (as in Thomas, Sieur de Haveilland, Jurat of Guernsey in 1470), but according to Robert Wace the family hailed from Neustria in the Cotentin at least until the Norman invasion, where can be found various artifacts with the triple-towered castle in arms (just as with Castille in Spain, but where de Havilland is concerned, with a different tincture).

My internet searching for Raal as a given name isn't yielding anything enlightening.

Attached Files