kingmaker

Earl of Warwick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:The wars of the roses

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

Mona Lisa pregnancy theory mooted

The famous smile on Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa could be because she is pregnant or had just had a baby, research suggests.

Canadian scientists used laser and infrared scans to produce a 3D image of the painting. This allowed details beneath layers of paint to be seen - including a gauzy dress then associated with pregnant or new mothers.

BBC news article
IPB Image
The Battle of Towton, 1461

www.wars-of-the-roses.com

#2 ScŤalaž

ScŤalaž

King / Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:History.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:08 AM

I really think that is about the strangest assumption to make.
"I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject." -William Wallace
". . . for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

#3 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:Medieval Biography - specifically from the feminine point of view.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:26 AM

She does look rather "frumpy" though. Good theory!

However, here in Australia they are in the process of restoring one of OUR works of art "The Shearers" - XRays prove that the artist himself changed the original painting - there was an image of a totally different shearer under the one painted.

So applying that train of thought - could the original Mona Lisa be a totally different woman underneath??
~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

#4 William Marshal

William Marshal

Duke / Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

I know little about art, but I would say I agree with you there Warwick, I have always thought that mona looked like she was flushed, in the way that a woman blossoms after they give birth!
Not that I know alot about women giving birth either!

The Devil is out. Look to yourself.

#5 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:44 AM

Is it just me or does she seem to be resting her arms rather high up - possibly on a "bump"??

**pregnant pause**
~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

#6 William Marshal

William Marshal

Duke / Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Is it just me or does she seem to be resting her arms rather high up - possibly on a "bump"??

**pregnant pause**

Yea true, lol, but from a womens point of view would you say she looked pregnant!? Frumpy!? Hmmm I just dont know what everyone bangs on about, nice picture nice smile, thats all, they say she has a great smile, altough I dont think its nothin special, but there is a theory that she had a perfect smile because that she didnt have all of her teeth! Honestly thats what I saw on TV once!

Edited by William Marshal, 11 October 2006 - 06:04 PM.

#7 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:16 AM

Dental hygiene was non-existant - Empress Josephine (she who was married to Napoleon) also had very few teeth and the ones she had were black! Queen Elizabeth I also had bad teeth if I remember correctly.

I mean, pregnancy would certainly explain the coy smile of the lovely Mona.
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#8 William Marshal

William Marshal

Duke / Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

Dental hygiene was non-existant - teeth and the ones she had were black!

CRINGE!
When I was younger I always used to think fondly of the classic image of the serving wench... yea alright... no tooth brushes or razors and I feel dirty if I cant hav a full wash once a day, yuk yuk yuk!

So if anything Mona Lisa was well attractive because you knew she had no teeth and that meant she didnt have nothing rotting in her mouth!

Sorry not really the arts!

#9 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:18 AM

no tooth brushes or razors and I feel dirty if I cant hav a full wash once a day, yuk yuk yuk!

Most people bathed once or twice a year or on special occasions - personal hygiene was not high on anyone's agenda - hence the introduction of perfumes for both men and women.

Anyway, what a pity Da Vince didn't leave any sort of "code" for the Mona Lisa.
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#10 William Marshal

William Marshal

Duke / Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

Ergh, yukky, im not squemish but thats what Im on about, so minging... you know when you go out on them all nite benders, get home, throughly wash and pop off to work but by 12pm all them toxis are ouzin through you pores and your sweaty, mouth feels like an ashtray and generally feel greesylly discusting.... well them lot used to drink all the time and they never had a wash, but once or twice a year... imagine how minging it would be... and there nothing worse than covering up a bad smell with another one, it just makes it more pungent!

Oh dear, no serving wench... :)

What kind of code, like Mona meaning Mouth Odour Not Acidic!?

#11 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

What kind of code, like Mona meaning Mouth Odour Not Acidic!?
[/quote]

More like - Mouth Ordour Not Acceptable!
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#12 hapax legomenon

hapax legomenon

Craftsman / Craftswoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:44 PM

My personal opinion is that the Mona Lisa is Leonardo himself minus beard in drag.

Guess that would explain the "enigmatic smile".

;)

#13 William Marshal

William Marshal

Duke / Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

Imagine it was that simple, so much speculation and the truth is closer to home than you think! Was she a mistress and pregnant by him?

#14 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:20 AM

OK - I was having a bit of a read on some of the more famous women portrayed in art when I came across this reference to the Mona Lisa.

In Ian Guthridge's book "Great Women in Hisotry & Art" he says that:

The name "Mona Lisa" is simply an abbreviation of "Madonna (mi-lady) Elizabeth". She is also referred to as "La Gioconda" as she was the second wife of Francesco del Giocondo. She was 24yo when Leonardo painted her - and to "chase away the melancholy that painters usually giver to their portraits", Leonardo kept her amused with musicians and jesters. And the result was "a smile so pleasing that it seemed divine rather than human".

Guthridge himself takes this story from Vasari's "Lives of the Artists".

So, being that she was married at the time her portrait was done, it may well be conceivable (no pun intended) that she was pregnant.

Edited by Melisende, 22 January 2007 - 03:46 AM.

~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#15 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

As a side note: I found this reference to the burial place of the "Mona Lisa" and thought that the article may be of interest.
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#16 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

Okay - further news on the enigmatic Mona Lisa.

Discovery have an article which now discusses Mona Lisa's "humble origins", her place of birth (the house she grew up in), her link the Leonardo, and her final years.

Author and historian Guiseppe Pallanti has also written a book "Mona Lisa's Story" and further information can be gleaned from Pallanti's website Mona Lisa Story.
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#17 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:43 AM

And yet again, just under a year since the last posting on this subject:

The identity of Mona Lisa has been confirmed, according to this article in Yahoo News: "All doubts about the identity of the Mona Lisa have been eliminated by a discovery by Dr. Armin Schlechter" - and so she has been identified as Lisa del Giocondo - based upon margin notations in a book (1503).
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#18 Kevin the Barbarous

Kevin the Barbarous

Peasant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

This actually makes me somewhat sad. Perhaps it was the mystery behind the smile that made the painting appealing to so many. That's one of the reasons the Mona Lisa was one of my favorite works. I always loved the mystery about who the woman was and now seeing as that is solved it's just another portrait it seems... :)

#19 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:55 AM

There is still the mystery of the smile ..... even if we now know who she is or rather, was.
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#20 hodekin

hodekin

Count / Countess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the Saxon/Viking/Norman world

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

An Infared photograph suggests that Leonardo originally painted the Mona Lisa with a gauzy overdress for nursing (visible, at right), and a tiny bonnet (vague outline visible about the sitter's head).

Source: New York Times

Hodekin

Edited by Ricker, 03 November 2008 - 10:32 PM.

A King he was on a carven throne in many pillared halls of stone,
with golden roof and silver floor and runes of power upon the door.