Posted by KristoCat, 05 March 2011 · 2455 views
I read a good number of books last month, but a lot of them were re-readings. I re-read The Name of the Wind to prepare for the March 1 release of the sequel, The Wise Man's Fear. I also re-read the Mallorean series. Here's the full list:
Under 200 pages:
Under 200 pages:
- The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook by Eleanor Davis. Cute graphic novel story for elementary school kids about a group of child inventors who foil a plot to steal a museum artifact.
- Flight of the Phoenix by R. L. LaFevers. Another chapter book about a kid whose family takes care of so-called mythical creatures, such as phoenixes and unicorns.
- Guardians of the West, The King of the Murgos, The Demon Lord of Karanda, The Sorceress of Darshiva, and The Seeress of Kell by David Eddings. Yep, read all these again.
- Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. This book was the 2011 Newbery award winner, and unfortunately it was BORING! :(
- The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. Patrick Rothfuss talks so much about this book that my curiosity finally made me get it from the library. It was very nicely written, but not the kind of story that grabs you.
- The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. This was a cool take on the Salem witchcraft trials, incorporating elements of the supernatural into the structure of a typical arcane thriller.
- The Case Against Homework by Sara Bennett and Nancy Kalish. The title caught my eye especially because I hear so much about loads of homework from the kids in my teen book club. I thought it was really interesting to hear about parents who think homework is really detrimental to their children and their home lives.
- The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas. Pretty good fantasy story for older elementary students who are up for a long book. I liked the adult characters better than the child main character.
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I had to prepare for the long-awaited sequel!!