• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RonPrice

RonPrice

Peasant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing in the social sciences and humanities; for example: philosophy and religion, history and psychology, sociology and media studies, etc. Other specific interests include: the physical, biological and applied sciences.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:07 AM

I came across this review which I would like readers here to be aware of. I post the first paragraph and leave the rest to readers here.-Ron Price, Tasmania
------------------------------
Inventing the Middle Ages:The Lives, Works, and Ideas of the Great Medievalists of the Twentieth Century, Norman F. Cantor, William Morrow 1991
--------------------------
A book review by Danny Yee 1997 http://dannyreviews.com/

Popular but scholarly historical writing is not so hard to come by. Racy, riveting, and scholarly works of historiography are much rarer in fact Inventing the Middle Ages is the only real example I have seen. A mixture of biography, historiography, and history, it is a study of twenty of the great modern medievalists and their works. Maitland and Southern get chapters to themselves; others are grouped by background, with chapters on Schramm and Kantorowicz, Halphen and Bloch, Panofsky and Curtius, Haskins and Strayer, Knowles and Gilson, and Lewis, Tolkien and Powicke. A final chapter covers Huizinga, Power, Postan, Erdmann, and Mommsen in less detail.

married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer & editor for 16, and a Baha'i for 56(in 2015).