Eirik Bloodaxe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:Medieval Biography - specifically from the feminine point of view.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

Review: Eirik Bloodaxe:

The name Eirik Bloodaxe conjures an obvious image of a great Viking warrior. This use of Eirik's name to personify Vikings in general can be clearly seen from the way that the Jorvik Viking Centre, which mostly deals with the peaceful activities of the great Viking settlement at York, for many years sold a range of “Erik Bloodaxe” products showing a bearded Viking warrior

Author: Gareth Williams, Curator of Early Medieval Coinage at the British Museum

~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

#2 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:Medieval Biography - specifically from the feminine point of view.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

I will add this little snippet to the above:

The Lost Diary of Erik Bloodaxe by Steve Barlow:

Newly discovered diaries and logbook entries reveal that famous Viking king, Eric Bloodaxe, couldn't write. However, his court poet Gorblime could! You read it here first - astonishing details of life in Viking times - battles and butchery; longships and love; births, marriages and plenty of deaths; poems and prisoners; Erik's victories and his wife's vengeance; Viking gods and Viking myths; travel and adventure; and much, much more!

~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History