• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ricker

Ricker

Admin

• Lead Admin
  • 1495 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

Royalscot accidentally sent this review to me almost a week ago via PM and wanted me to post it, but for some reason I wasn't notified of the two PMs he had sent that night until today (when I received another PM). Sorry, Royalscot - must have been some sort of glitch. Anyway, without further ado, here it is:

Review of Kingdom of Heaven by Royalscot

The Kingdom of Heaven was a very thought provoking movie, although it was was dished up hollywood style and the Director, Ridley Scott is a very acclaimed Director and I suppose it needed to be put in a fashion that will captivate audiences to keep their attention on the subject of the Frankish Kingdom of Jerusalm. The Characters were true, or did exsist in history.

The Book, The Crusades by Zoe Oldenbourg, printed by Pantheon, could shed more light on this interesting subject of history. The movie was but a shell of the real truth about the continous turmoil that existed in that part of the world at that time. Mr Scott would have done well to focus on the relationship between Byzantium and the Kingdom and then the relationship between the Muslims and the Franks. I guess the behind the scenes plots, intrigues, and alliances that weakened the Kingdom could not have been explained in a hour and a half movie. Saladin, was betryed as a heathen but in reality was very compassionate towards the vanquished, wheather by design or native feelings he was very chivalrous, with the exception to the Templers and the Hospitalers, citing that they would never surrender and would continue to cause problems.

On the whole, the movie was very entertaining, very well written for Hollywood spin and well directed. The dialogue could have been clearer, but over all well done. History has a very important place in our understanding of ourselves and the world.

#2 Liang Jieming

Liang Jieming

Ingénieur chinois de siège

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:43 AM

I loved it. :bow_arrow:
DragonSeed Legacy
Chinese Siege Warfare: Mechanical Artillery & Siege Weapons of Antiquity

Have Pride, Not Arrogance.

"History should be fun... and hands-on"
"Insufficient adversity dulls the mind"
"The greater the adversity, the brighter the spark of opportunity"
"I fear not death so much as I fear not being able to live"

...明明白白我的心

#3 BoudiccasWrath

BoudiccasWrath

Duke / Duchess

• Grand Medieval Historian
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Crusades, lepers, Byzantium, military orders,

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:20 AM

Royalscot accidentally sent this review to me almost a week ago via PM and wanted me to post it, but for some reason I wasn't notified of the two PMs he had sent that night until today (when I received another PM). Sorry, Royalscot - must have been some sort of glitch. Anyway, without further ado, here it is:

Review of Kingdom of Heaven by Royalscot

::grumbles::..damn....::grumbles::....wretched excuse for a.....::grumbles::.....piece of....::grumbles::

Heh, it was ok.

needed more :bow_arrow: 's

#4 KristoCat

KristoCat

Quotations Admin

• Admin
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:29 PM

Erm... I'm almost afraid to say this on this forum but here goes...

I didn't like Kingdom of Heaven.

I thought the storyline and dialogue didn't make too much sense most of the time, and the movie went way overboard, like Disney-style, beating the viewer over the head with messages of love, tolerance, and all that good stuff. The message was overdone to the extent that I think it probably distorted any historical truth the film might have had.

My 2 cents.
Kristocat
Quotations Administrator

#5 BoudiccasWrath

BoudiccasWrath

Duke / Duchess

• Grand Medieval Historian
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Crusades, lepers, Byzantium, military orders,

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:01 PM

Erm... I'm almost afraid to say this on this forum but here goes...

I didn't like Kingdom of Heaven.

I thought the storyline and dialogue didn't make too much sense most of the time, and the movie went way overboard, like Disney-style, beating the viewer over the head with messages of love, tolerance, and all that good stuff. The message was overdone to the extent that I think it probably distorted any historical truth the film might have had.

My 2 cents.

Yay! Another kindred spirit!

It was :bow_arrow:

#6 Liang Jieming

Liang Jieming

Ingénieur chinois de siège

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

Huh? You mean its got a story? I thought they whole movie was just the siege scene which was awsome for its accuracy! :bow_arrow: :bow_arrow: :leper: :leper: :bow_arrow:

They had HCW trebs, traction trebs and the ballista! :bow_arrow:
DragonSeed Legacy
Chinese Siege Warfare: Mechanical Artillery & Siege Weapons of Antiquity

Have Pride, Not Arrogance.

"History should be fun... and hands-on"
"Insufficient adversity dulls the mind"
"The greater the adversity, the brighter the spark of opportunity"
"I fear not death so much as I fear not being able to live"

...明明白白我的心

#7 KristoCat

KristoCat

Quotations Admin

• Admin
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:30 AM

Huh? You mean its got a story? I thought they whole movie was just the siege scene which was awsome for its accuracy!

:bow_arrow:

Well, if you're only interested in the battle scenes, by all means see the movie! That was one thing that Scott did well.
Kristocat
Quotations Administrator

#8 Funkiedunkie

Funkiedunkie

Wealthy Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

It was a terrible film with ridiculous a plot based on a lot of misinformation. Though yes from time to time the battle seens were pretty cool

#9 keith

keith

Bishop of Antioch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:54 PM

It was a terrible film with ridiculous a plot based on a lot of misinformation.

The sex scene did not make any sense and messed up the whole plot. If that wasn't enough, the actress was ugly. :bow_arrow:
"I have drawn into myself so much that I literally do not see any other people anymore-- excepting the peasants with whom I have direct contact, since I paint them." ~ Vincent van Gogh

#10 hobilar

hobilar

Great Khan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Favourite Food: Steak Caserole
    Favourite Drink (Alcoholic): Best Bitter, Scotch Whiskey
    Favourite Drink (Non-Alchoholic): Coffee
    Place of Birth: London
    Favourite Movie: Memphis Belle
    Favourite Singer: Barbra Streisand
    All time favourite music album: 'Affectionately, Melanie' (Melanie Safka 1969)
    Favourite Sport: Formula 1 Motor Racing
    Favourite Music: 1960's Popular
    Favourite Books: Historical Non Fiction (Sad, boring Person)
    Car: 2001 Toyota Corolla GS
    Employment: Driver
    Marital Status: Married with three children and one Grandchild

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:55 AM

As we all love to pick out the historical inaccuracies in Hollywood Epics :D do check out this site

http://www.friesian.com/outremer.htm

P.S. Was one of the Crusaders, in the opening scene, drinking drom a PLASTIC water bottle (or did I imagine it?) :blink:
They say hard work never hurt anybody, but I figured why take the chance....Ronald Reagan

#11 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:Medieval Biography - specifically from the feminine point of view.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:58 PM

The character of Balian and Sybilla were real enough - just not as portrayed - a slight amount of "artistic licence" if you will.

In my personal opinion, the "real" Balian d'Ibelin had a lot more strength of [moral] character and did in no way "carry on" with Queen Sybilla. And despite Guy d'Lusignan being her mother's choice of groom, Sybilla was actually in love with him, having been lovers some time prior to their marriage - and she crowned him against quite a bit of opposition. And Balian was quite happy with Maria Comnena.

Great FICTIONAL story! - The REAL story is so much better!
~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

#12 keith

keith

Bishop of Antioch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

Great FICTIONAL story! - The REAL story is so much better!

That happens too much with history.
"I have drawn into myself so much that I literally do not see any other people anymore-- excepting the peasants with whom I have direct contact, since I paint them." ~ Vincent van Gogh

#13 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:05 AM

So true - but then it probably wouldn't sell as many tickets.
~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

#14 keith

keith

Bishop of Antioch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

You're probably right. But maybe they underestimate what kind of a flick people would like to go and see. Someday writing the same kinds of scripts over and over will not work anymore.

#15 Nooj

Nooj

Peasant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

I heard the Director's Cut was way better, and I enjoyed the theatrical release even if it wasn't perfect, so I'll probably get it.

#16 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:27 AM

I have both versions - and still, after all this time, haven't watched either!

Could now be the time to watch it ... ??? I'm a bit worried that after so long, and so many reviews later, that I'm not going to enjoy it for what it is ..... a story.

(I just never get around to watching films when they first come out .)

Edited by Melisende, 08 March 2008 - 04:27 AM.

~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#17 Ricker

Ricker

Admin

• Lead Admin
  • 1495 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

I have both versions - and still, after all this time, haven't watched either!

Did you purchase both, or did you receive them as gifts?

#18 Wulfwynn

Wulfwynn

King / Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Anglo-Saxon England, prehistoric humans, nature and environment

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

All:

I haven't seen the film(maybe I should go out and get the DVD), so I can't say much. All I know is, a lot of people knowledgeable about the period have "cried foul" about it, on various grounds. I did not go out and see the film when it came out, largely on the strength of the (non-medievalist) reviewers in my local news media's non-recommendations(thoy thought it was pretty silly too). Be that as it may, I suppose if you can just view it as a kind of "Hollywood entertainment" and not worry too much about the "realities" of the time, it sounds like it might be enjoyable on that level!
Anne G

#19 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Got given the movie (and extras) - and went out and got the Directors Cut (as I heard it was much better).

I've done that with a few DVDs I've really liked - went out and got the Directors Cut (Sin City was one) after seeing just the "normal" movie.
~~~ Melisende

Women of History

#20 CCJ

CCJ

Peasant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Medieval, Ancient, & Aviation History; SCUBA; Running

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

Is there any movie covering the medieval period that is historically accurate and doesn't perpetuate myths about the period? I'm seeing a vision of a highly accurate movie maybe based on one of Bernard Cornwell's books: Agincourt or 1356. One can hope!