Three Suns

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:Medieval Biography - specifically from the feminine point of view.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:17 PM

The other night on SBS (Multicultural TV Channel here in Australia) I watched a very interesting Swedish movie called "Three Suns".

The crux of the plot was a woman, Hanna, travelling to meet her husband, Ulf, who was returning from the Crusades. It was described as a "road trip" type movie. What I found far more noteworthy was the interaction between the main character Hanna and those she encountered on her journey. The backdrop was obviously Sweden and I would hesitate to say mid-14th century, as the main underlying theme was the plague and its effects on human behaviour - well, thats how I saw it.

Here's what SBS had to say in its online program guide:

MOVIE - DRAMA - THREE SUNS - (TRE SOLAR)
Hanna (Lena Endre) is a strong and feisty woman who has, along with her two children, waited many years for her husband to return from the crusades. When she gets word that the ship carrying her husband is off the coast, she decides to go to meet it. However, the ship has been turned back as the land is plague-ridden, sailing further up the coast to disembark. As she follows on horseback, she meets and picks up various characters in the plague-wracked landscape along the way. Directed by Richard Hobert and also stars Kjell Bergqvist, Maria Bonnevie, Rolf Lassgard and Sven-Bertil Taube. (From Sweden, in Swedish, English subtitles) (2004) MA (L,V,A) WS

Definitely worth the watching.
~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

#2 Melisende

Melisende

la reine de Outremer

• Community Coordinator
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:Medieval Biography - specifically from the feminine point of view.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

For what its worth - this is on again, in Melbourne - SBS One - Jan 4 @ 11.05pm
~~~ Melisende

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History